Thank you for your interest in Highlands Cashiers Health Foundation’s first grant cycle! We believe in investing in areas that offer constructive solutions for healthful and productive lives. We look for projects that keep our Highlands Cashiers and surrounding communities strong and vibrant, particularly programs that are involved in proactive, collaborative partnerships.
Our Focus Areas Are:
Health: Access to Care
Access to care plays a vital role in supporting healthy and strong communities, especially in rural areas. We welcome applications from organizations working with in these focus areas:
• Emergency Services and Public Transportation – Bringing the service to the people or the people to the service when help is needed is critically important because the rugged and remote terrain of our mountain communities can be a life-threatening barrier.
• Indigent Care – Providing quality preventive and clinical services to qualifying uninsured and underserved individuals and families.
• Behavioral Health – Increasing services and improving access for individuals.
• Primary Care Physician Recruitment and Retention – Addressing the need for more primary care physicians serving our surrounding rural communities.
• Supporting children and youth initiatives that address healthy lifestyles
The attainment of education is one of the highest factors predicting good health. We welcome applications from organizations addressing these focus areas:
• Supporting K-12 initiatives that reduce absenteeism and increase student access to health professionals and specialists when help is needed.
• Advancing school technologies that provide academic enrichment.
• Supporting school leadership through recruitment, professional development, and retention of teachers.
• Supporting initiatives to expand learning opportunities for pre-school and early childhood ages.
• Improving literacy for all ages.
Improving Social and Community Context. We welcome applications for programs that promote healthy lifestyles, wellness, community connection and civic participation activities:
• Community Health Screenings
• Programs that demonstrate outcomes in improving health and well-being.
• Substance abuse program development
Poverty: Human Services
We welcome applications for programs addressing needs in these areas:
• Hunger, food insecurity
• Affordable housing initiatives
Ready to apply? Click here.
The Highlands Cashiers Health Foundation aims to improve the health and well-being of Highlands, Cashiers, and surrounding communities, including collaborative partnerships that serve the health and well-being of all people in Western North Carolina, with particular emphasis on Macon, Jackson, Swain, Graham, Clay and Cherokee Counties.
The following areas fall outside the Highlands Cashiers Health Foundation scope of support:
• Political purposes, including lobbying
• Out-of-area projects or organizations
• Grants prohibited by IRS regulations