Safe and affordable housing is essential to health and well-being.
The Healthy Homes Initiative, (HHI) is a regional collaboration with Highlands Cashiers Health Foundation (HCHF), and the Nantahala Health Foundation (NHF) through a generous grant of $400,000 from the Dogwood Health Trust. Together, we aim to address the most critical needs for home repairs among those who need it most throughout our six-county western region.
The HHI initiative is targeted to owner-occupied homes of individuals at 60% of the area median income (AMI). Many of these homeowners are unable to afford the repairs needed to maintain the safety and health of their home’s occupants. Others require home modifications to ensure they can safely age in their homes or to address physical challenges or disabilities.
Affordability of repairs and home modifications have been further compromised by supply chain and labor challenges exacerbated by COVID-19.
- Applicants must be an established 501(c)3 in good standing with the IRS; a public agency or governmental unit, including county/state school systems; or Indian Tribal Government.
- Applicants must provide services within the Highlands Cashiers Health Foundation’s and Nantahala Health Foundation’s service area, which includes Cherokee, Clay, Graham, Macon, Jackson, and Swain counties in Western North Carolina, as well as the Qualla Boundary.
- Organizations with demonstrated success in the past identifying and implementing critical home repairs and rehabilitation projects.
- Awards will be made to organizations, not individuals.
- Healthy Homes Initiative projects funded via this collaborative are intended to require one year or less to complete.
- September 15 – HHI Grant Cycle Opens
- October 15 – Deadline for HHI Grant Submission
- By November 8 – Applicants will be notified of their award or denial status
- Active HHI Grant Cycle is December 2021 – November 2022
*Dates are subject to revision; as the applicant, you are responsible for remaining up to date on application submission deadlines.
*The link above will re-direct you to a shared grant portal between Nantahala Health Foundation and Highlands Cashiers Health Foundation.